My name is Dan. I’m from Rhode Island but I don’t live there anymore. I like lots of things, including comic books, history, Rhode Island, and movies. I thought that the name of my blog, Colossus of Rhode Island, was a dreadfully clever way to indicate that I love the first three things. Colossus is my favorite X-Man, the Colossus of Rhodes was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World (although my historical background is more Cold War-era) and I love Rhode Island. This is a movie blog, but a movie blog with a very particular focus. Beginning with 1920 and working my way to the present, each post is going to be about a movie from that year that I think you should see. I’ll also write about other movies from that year that I liked, put in trivial facts from that year, and a favorite quote (I’ll probably wait until I’m out of the Silent Era to do that though). Here are the rules (always subject to change):
1. I am not necessarily going to point out what I believe to be the best movie from that year, just one that I think people should see.
2. I will try to highlight movies that are relatively easy to download (only legally of course), rent from your local library, or buy online.
3. I am going to try and not be too esoteric with my choices (of course, when you start in 1920, most people will think the choices are esoteric no matter what).
4. I am doing ZERO research aside from watching the movies. Obviously I learned the things that I’m going to say somewhere, but everything that I say will come directly from my brain and I may be wrong sometimes. I will doublecheck the spelling of names, etc. but other than that, I am going to completely embrace the ability to write about something that I have no credentials to write about and not back anything up with citations (which, along with the ability to act like a jerk anonymously, seems to be the great draw of the internet). If you don’t like what you read or disagree with my, that’s fine, but I really don’t care.
5. I don’t know when I’ll get around to the first post, but once I do I’m going to really try to post every week or two. That’s not so much a rule as a general idea of timelines.